*Note: If Filipino words are used, they are translated below
A few weeks ago, I went to the Floating Book Fair in Manila. A ship called Logos Hope was docked at Pier 15 of the Manila South Harbor. It is open from 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. from Tuesday to Saturday, and it will remain here in Manila until March 30.
From taft, I rode a jeep to Quiapo, and the jeepney driver let me off at a road where jeeps that went to Pier 15 passed by. When I was riding the Pier 15 jeep, I thought that once I passed by the harbor, I would see it, so I didn’t ask the driver to tell me if we were at Pier 15 already. It was a long jeep ride until I finally asked the driver “Malayo pa ba ung Pier 15?” and he said, “Naku, lampas na. Sige iikot naman tayo.”
When I arrived at the right stop, I had to walk quite a bit to get to the ship. There’s a P20 entrance fee and a briefing about the ship. I went inside the main bookstore, but I didn’t find any books I liked. Disappointed, I went past the cashier, and proceeded to the exit. Then, I discovered that there were more books! There were piles and piles of really informative textbooks that was 3 for P500. I bought six. They are all super thick, and some of them have CDs. Here are the books that I bought:
1. The Dynamics of Mass Communication: Media in the Digital Age by Joseph R. Dominick
2. Music: An Appreciation by Roger Kamien
3. Living with Art by Mark Getlein
4. The Theatre Experience by Edwin Wilson
5. Retellings: A Thematic Literature Anthology by M. B. Clarke and A. G. Clarke
6. The McGraw-Hill Reader: Issues Across the Disciplines by Gilbert H. Muller
I haven’t read any of them yet, so I’m going to update you guys about them soon.
 Malayo pa ba ung Pier 15=Are we still far from Pier 15?
 Naku, lampas na. Sige iikot naman tayo.=Oh no, we passed by it already. Don’t worry, we are going to go around again anyway.
 P500=$11.64 (current exchange rate 1 USD = 42.96 PHP)
For more about books, check out these links:
- The Books I Bought at the Floating Book Fair
- Sugar on a World: A Review of Mahdur Jaffrey’s Climbing the Mango Trees
- My Virtual Notebook: Writing Tips from Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark
Check out The REaD Hunter, an online bookstore that sells second-hand books through Facebook. We ship books all over Metro Manila and selected provinces in the Philippines. Orders made during the week are shipped every Saturday. We accept payment through MLhuillier and Gcash.
Check out my other blog categories.
Age of the Diary by Jasmine T. Cruz. If you like this post, please subscribe to this blog. Follow Ja on Twitter: ageofthediary. Email Ja at: email@example.com.